Monday, August 10, 2009

Don't Bank On Pedestrian-Oriented Suburban Banks... and I Love You Mom!

My “biggest fan” commented on my previous post that she doesn’t know of a bank that isn’t pedestrian-oriented. As much as I will probably regret correcting my own loving mother (I feel like I’m about to break a Commandment here), I’m going to have to respectfully disagree. I can't remember a single pedestrian-oriented bank in the Phoenix metropolitan area; not that they don’t exist there, but I suspect that they are few and far between, and there’s a simple reason why.

It doesn't make sense to build pedestrian-friendly banks (or any other type of business) in standard suburban areas, because people aren’t likely to walk to them. Since residences and businesses are purposely separated by segregated zoning laws, it is just not practical to "walk with a purpose" in these areas. Basically, it would be illogical to design a pedestrian-oriented bank in a standard suburban area.

This is, ultimately, not the fault of business owners or developers. Developers get a bad rap in planning circles, and sometimes for good reason. Developers often are only focused on their bottom line and not on what would be good for the community in which they are building. I don’t subscribe to Adam Smith’s “invisible hand” and neither do the laws of nature (I’ll write about this some time, I promise), so I have no problem with trashing developers for their selfishness. However, some (maybe most) developers are simultaneously looking out for their own interests while trying to provide economic benefits for the community. The only reason these developers create poor products is because they are playing by poor rules. Our planning is the problem, and poor development is simply the highly-visual result.

Now, I need to apologize profusely to my mom because I have committed the cardinal sin of family life: I have publicly disagreed with the person that brought me into this world. As self-inflicted punishment (and because my beautiful wife will be receiving my full attention while she is in town), you have heard the last of me until at least the end of next week. So long, and happy trails!

4 comments:

Summit or Nothing said...

I agree with you brother. :) My experience as a City Planner constantly shows me that while zoning is extremely beneficial and crucial, we need to write codes that create more sustainable places and walkable cities. Work would be more exciting enforcing these codes as well. Have fun with your wife! She is excited.

Diane, his mother! said...

You see, folks, he started out with "I love you Mom" and he ended up apologizing. See, I've got him trained well!!! And, he disagreed, "respectfully". What else could a mother want?!! Now, to back up my claim, I will start with the banks that are in my one-horse town, and there are many. Almost all the single branches have parking in the back or on the sides and are pedestrian friendly. I have to say that my perspective is based on what I have lived. I realize that we have always tried to live away from the "action". (I am not in-tuned to a pedestrian attitude, never have been, never will be, as my family knows!) It did mean driving a distance to any stores or banks. The communities were walkable, but the amenities were few, as far as stores went. That community has finally changed and is offering something besides the corner store. I can also say the same for the Avondale home. It used to be "out there", but not anymore. However, I can't speak for whether there are banks there now, but I imagine there are some that are walkable, since there are strip malls. In many cases, and I'm thinking of Arrowhead, Sun City, etc, they put the banks up on corners that made them pedestrian accessible. Which brings up another thought. Some strip malls have side access, which would be more pedestrian friendly. But for the most part they are situated in the back of the lots. If you want to talk about planning, how about the wonderful grocery stores that offer more than groceries, like banks, hair salons, prescription eye care, restaurants etc. Outside of having to park in the fronts of these mega stores and fighting the traffic to get in the store, everything in the store is handy and very pedestrian friendly. Putting these other services in grocery stores was the best idea planners have had yet. Maybe it isn't in the planning, but up to the grocery store chains to cut their own deals. I don't know. There, your biggest fan has given you something else to write about! I have to say, my son, it takes a lot of, hhmmm..., to stand up and fight your old mother! I'm proud of ya!!! That's the kid I raised!!!......and I love you too!
So there!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ryan, I am truly proud of you! You have grown up so much in the past few years. You have asserted your independance; you have sprouted wings; you have followed in my footsteps and made your own way in life.....and then this! You just had to go and piss off Mom. Just because you are 3,000 miles away doesn't mean that disagreeing with her won't have grave concequences. She isn't that far from me, bro. I am bolting my doors, now, and baring the windows, too. Thank you, so much, for the wrath that you have undoubtedly causes by this unthinkable cardinal sin.

Living in fear,

Dave

the mom of both crazies! said...

Yeah, Dave, you better be scared and shaking in your boots! A hop, skip and a jump and I can be there to bring down my wrath upon you. And...why are you thanking him for wrath that I will level at you???? I don't know, that didn't make any sense. Anyway, You big bullies don't scare me!!!! Ha!!